Although you may not be able to pin down everything about the car with just a glance, there is much more you can tell about any vehicle than you see. Here are five items to help you know what to look for, literally, when shopping for used cars in yakima.
- Look outside. The first thing you’ll likely notice on any car is its chassis, which is the first thing to check. One thing to look out for are the inconsistencies in the paint job. Is any part of the car a different color or shade from the rest? This could be an indication that some repair work is taking place at this site. Check for scratches, dings, rust spots, or other indicators of wear to get an idea of how long the car has been.
- Check the glass. Windshields and windows are also important areas to check. Watch out for dangerous cracks or cracks in the windshield, and make sure your windows are raised and lowered along the way, as this will matter to you if the weather gets bad while you are inside.
- Check tires. You can expect tire damage in a previously owned car, but that’s another area that can tell you its condition. Are the front tires more wear on one side of the wheel? If so, it could be a sign of a problem at the front of the vehicle. Make sure the wheels are even, as it is not uncommon to find cars with hub problems.
- Look inside. Regardless of a car’s exterior, sometimes the interior is the one that tells you the most. Check the quality of the upholstery, seats and carpets. Do you see a lot of spots or burns? How does it smell? What kind of damage is there? If there are indications that the interior has not been taken care of or even abused, be careful. Any flight can suffer greatly from owner abuse, and these can be signs of bigger problems.
- Turn on the power. The board should be next on the checklist. Turn on the power and make sure it is working. Are the test drive or warning lights illuminated? Do the windshield wipers and turn signals work? Check every electronic function, including air conditioning and heating. Also, be sure to listen for any unusual or disturbing sounds from the engine.